Happy Moms Make Themselves a Priority
Like most moms, my life changed irrevocably the instant I held my son in my arms for the first time. Completely captivated, I happily immersed myself in caring for my son, who quickly became the center of our world. Nighttime feedings and sleep scheduling issues disappeared gradually and life began to function like clockwork.
But much as I cherished my time with my son, I felt our family would be more complete if I added a sibling to the mix. My daughter arrived practically effortlessly into the world. But transitioning my beautiful, low-maintenance baby into our family proved to be harder than I imagined.
For what seems like the longest time, I felt torn between my son, who struggled with his role as big brother, and my daughter, who depended on me for her sustenance. I figured if I gave up the things I loved doing, I would automatically have more time for the kids.
But I was so wrong. Neglecting myself paved the way for discontentment and stress.
Fortunately for me, just before I hit rock bottom, I realized that focusing solely on the kids wasn’t working.
Keeping that in mind, I began to make a conscious effort to make time for myself. Paradoxically, I could give more to my family after I began to look after myself.
Here are some of the things I do to nourish my body and soul:
- Curl up with a book. I’m actually convinced that my kids enjoy reading because they watch me read.
- Exercise on a regular basis. Weight training and yoga have done wonders for my strength, stamina and general well-being.
- Enjoy date night with my husband every Saturday after we put the kids to bed.
- Eat at regular intervals. I take the time to sit and eat rather than standing in the kitchen and gulping my meals down.
- Keep in touch with my friends and extended family.
- Shop and look after my appearance.
- I went back to writing, which used to be my first love.
- Volunteer to help the less fortunate.
- I hug and kiss my kids. There’s something about stopping everything and just holding them that makes all the stress melt away.
What are some of the things you do to feel refreshed and rejuvenated?